Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Glasses twins.

I am very much looking forward to a three-day weekend this weekend, even though we had one a couple of weeks ago. The Monday after Nate and Katie's wedding, Doug and I took a vacation day. The original plan was to go to Nantucket for an overnight, because Doug had never been and because we were a mere ferry ride away. But because it was still in-season on Nantucket with in-season prices, we decided not to go. Instead, we spent our Monday getting our eyes examined.

We went into Boston, had lunch at Stephanie's on Newbury, and then went to my eye doctor, Dr. Tanlamai. It's such a cute little mom and pop shop, but one with a great array of frames. Dr. Tanlamai and his wife own and run the shop, and they are so small, cute, and pleasant. They don't speak English very well, which makes them even cuter (listening to Mrs. Dr. Tanlamai talk about her apple picking adventures is an adventure in itself!), and I was glad that Doug liked them, too. Doug hadn't had his eyes examined in about eight years, so it was definitely due for him. He confessed that he was squinting to read the subtitles on the TV while in bed. Not good! He has a stigmatism, but if the glasses correct too much for it he gets dizzy. Dr. Tanlamai took this into account, and now Doug can see better than he has in years. Not to mention that he now has cool new frames. We both do, actually. And I think we look more alike than ever.

Doug's new look:


My new look:


Twins:
It's funny - Mrs. Dr. Tanlamai helped me pick out my frames while Doug was in his eye exam, but Doug had his picked out before he even had his eyes examined. I tried on many different pair before I finally - with help - decided on these. I asked Mrs. Dr. Tanlamai if she thought I looked too much like Doug in these frames, and she assured me that I did not. I didn't fully believe her, but I liked the frames enough to overlook that. And then when Doug and I went to pick the glasses up, we tried them on to make sure that everything fit, that we could see, etc., and the first thing that Dr. Tanlamai said (after Mrs. Dr. Tanlamai said, "Ah, you are here to pick up your geek glasses," which we took as a compliment) was, "Twins." Oh well, what can you do. Doug and I just have similar tastes, which is probably why we're a good match.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Doug and I have been sick. I know I've mentioned the Kleenexes up my nose, but let me say again that Doug and I have been ill. Doug was hit really hard with another of his respiratory infections, and I caught a lesser version of his illness. Doug is still recovering - he stayed home from work for four days, and when he tried to go to work yesterday his boss sent him home. Today was his first full day back. Me, I only caught Doug's illness on Friday, and spent Saturday and Sunday pretty miserable with a dripping nose, pounding head, and a super-deep voice, but yesterday I felt exhausted and sounded pretty bad so went home early from work. And now my head is pounding again (though I am not drinking enough and my mouth and lips feel very dry, so I figure this is just a dehydration headache). Let me say this - it's no fun being sick.

However, what is fun is that when you're sick you can relax. You have no choice. So I've become addicted to Dancing with the Stars (am watching the results show right now...), and I've been knitting. I finished the scarf that I started to knit for Doug last November (it was supposed to be a gift for his birthday, then for Christmas, and then I gave up), and gave it to him. Thought it would cheer him up. It did.Look at that. He's so bright with cheer. And not only did I finish the scarf but I've started on another, this one for myself.If I'm lucky enough to be sick again this winter, I may make good progress on it.

No comments: