Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2009

I am like Accuweather. Accurate.

I just read this article about a sleep study that says, among other things, that women describe things more accurately than men. I couldn't agree more.

To quote the article: Meanwhile, older men say their sleep is more restful than it really is. "Men completely, and much more than women, overestimate the quality of their sleep," Dr. Henning Tiemeier of Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, who led the study, told Reuters Health.

In fact, he added, it's not so much that women grumble more about their restless nights, but that they're simply more accurate in describing them.


As I tell Doug all the time, it's an issue of semantics. Doug likes to talk about the big picture. He's sick. His stomach doesn't feel good. He's having a bad day. I, perhaps because I am a woman, like to get right to the point, pin-point the details. I say I'm sick, but I follow that general comment with some specifics, like I have a pounding headache originating in my right temple, or for me, when I say my stomach hurts, I mean my stomach and not my whole digestive track, which is what Doug means when he says the word "stomach."

Is this one of those Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus moments of revelation where I have to admit that maybe there really are differences between the way men and women think and act? That maybe we really are hard-wired differently? That I might have to be more understanding of men when they can't get the details right, and they have to be more understanding of me and my kind when all we want is more detail? Can this extend to planning, too? Can this extend to life? Are the possibilities really that endless?

No comments: