Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cultivating my Internet presence.

I keep hearing about how what happens on the Internet stays on the Internet, and how I should not have my blog be my personal journal, because all employers will Google me when I go for a job and will be able to see every complaint and sad-sack story I've written about my personal life. And who wants to hire a complainer or a sad-sack? I've also heard that blogs shouldn't be rambly, long, or revealing; in other words not making a blog like a personal journal. All of this hits so close to home. Because what is my blog? Definitely rambly and revealing. It's also at times very much like a personal journal. I spend a little too much time venting, perhaps. And then I also spend some time on my blog revealing my inner thoughts and fears and foibles. There some silly photos posted of me here, too. Some that aren't so flattering. Hmmm. Venting + revealing + unflattering photos = big blog faux pas. What sort of online image am I creating? Who's gonna want to hire me?

So let's only blog from part of me from now on. The part of me that likes to lay in sun spots and photograph rainbows. The part of me who, despite what I might say, still rubs Sasha's soft, little head when she's on my lap and gives her squishy body a squeeze right before it's time for me to move her. The part of me who wants to do good in the world and make a meaningful contribution. Don't want to portray a human me, one that has good days and bad, and thoughts and feelings that get beyond the surface of things. I want a future, and apparently my current Internet presence could prevent that. Well, no more. Today's a new blogging day!

My sun-spot moment of today: I did the dishes before being told and I enjoyed it. That's right - I happily did the dishes. Made me feel productive and clean. I like both of those feelings. I like being proactive, too. Welcome to the part of me that's productive and proactive. And eager and enthusiastic. This is the only part of me that the Internet should know.

No comments: