Search This Blog

Monday, October 12, 2009

Kevin Darnett's My Boy!

Yes, I've been going through a bit of a crisis of self these past few years. Yes, I'm dwelling on it a little too much. Yes, I have faith that it won't always be this way, but in the meantime some of my blogs will have to be a bit introspective and, for lack of a better word, "woe is me." Not all of them, though. Because there are good things about life. More good than not, actually. So here's a blog about some good stuff.

This weekend Doug and I visited the Siskos in Monroe. We saw Grandpa and we saw Uncle Bruce, too. While it wasn't too uplifting to see Uncle Bruce, who is unfortunately suffering from cancer treatments and is really not doing well at all, it was good to see him. It was important and necessary to see him. We wish him well. Actually, it wasn't really uplifting to be in Monroe. There is a bit of a gray cloud over that house and the family there. Grandpa was in the hospital for a problem with his toe (and he's 90 with several health problems, so you never know how he'll be when you see him next), and Mrs. Sisko has more things wrong with her. Plus, too, their cat, Bailey, passed away a few weeks ago. A very tragic and unpleasant passing, and so we reminisced about that for a while. Here's Bailey from this past spring. He was a good cat. But, despite all the gray, it was good to see Doug's family again, and it makes you realize that your own life really isn't that bad after all.

On Sunday, too, the gray clouds rolled out and in rolled the pink clouds with our free trip to the Celtics pre-season game against the New Jersey Nets. I entered a raffle at work for free tickets to the game, and even though I knew we'd be in Monroe and should probably stay in Monroe I couldn't resist the chance to go to a game. And wouldn't you know, we won the tickets. So Doug and I left Monroe early on Sunday morning to make it to the Garden by 1pm. We just made it. And the seats were AWESOME. Four rows up from the floor. Amazing. This is how close we were: What a view of Kevin Darnett! This is the second time we've seen a Celtics game with free tickets from my work and I will say this about seeing a live game that up-close - everything seems so small. The court, the baskets, the Garden, the fans, everything. The players seem huge, though. Almost like they're playing on a Barbie-sized court. Kevin Garnett is huge, very tall and very lean. And there is this new guy called Sweetney, and he's giant. I don't mean even just tall, but he's large. Even a little fat. It's hard to see him here, but here he is throwing a foul shot:I liked him, and he might be my new boy, but he'll likely play very little during the regular season.

We were also very close to the super-hot Celtics dancers. We were able to see them shake and shimmy their way through the time-outs, and I have to say that I've never really seen more plastic-y looking women before. But maybe that's their charm?Personally, I'd rather see Lucky the Leprechaun come back to entertain us during the down times, but I'm probably not the type of fan that the Celtics Dancers are supposed to attract, anyway.

So definitely a good game. And even the tickets were cool. This is why people work in finance. The perks. No matter how much you might want to leave, when you get free tickets four rows from the court and can see the sweat dripping down Ray Allen's face and can almost smell the B.O. wafting from his armpits, then all you can do is continue to swipe your badge each morning in the hopes of living off the droppings of the man just one more time.

3 comments:

girl chris said...

OK, I have to ask (the copyeditor in me is dying to know): Is "Darnett" an inside joke? Or something obvious I'm just not getting?

Rosanne said...

Yes, it's an inside joke. Someone was talking about being a huge Celtics fan and then came out with the "Kevin Darnett's my boy!" statement. That statement has been with me ever since and continues to provide me with amusement.

girl chris said...

Ah! That's fantastic. I like him, too. And that nice Roy Allen.

PS -- Sorry to hear about Bailey. Sad.