Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2009

The newest Mr. & Mrs. Galeota.

My cousin's wedding was this past Saturday, on the Cape on one of the most beautiful, crisp, clear fall days we've had so far, and I have now officially seen all of my cousins on my mother's side get married. It started with my cousin John's wedding back in... 1984? Something like that. I was the flower girl for that one, in a dress handsewn by my mother (my mother has many talents, and sewing is one of them - don't let her tell you otherwise). Then it was my cousin Linda, my cousin Ann, and then my cousin Amy, my cousin Jeremy, and my cousin Neal. And now, finally, my cousin Nate. This leaves the family wedding excitement to my cousins Christine and Scott on my father's side, and then my extended cousins - children of my cousins. Most are a few years away yet from wedding age, but still. The fact that many of them are in college or just about to be in college is amazing to me, so really their weddings aren't really all that far off, in theory. No pressure, though, guys!

Nate and Katie make a great couple. Sometimes you go to weddings and you're not really sure how the couple even got together, let alone got along long enough to make it down the aisle. Some people seem mismatched. But these two... there's no doubt that they're in it for the long haul. They are both kind and patient and tolerant. Both love the outdoors. Both are pretty low maintenance. Both just love to hang out. Sounds like a lifetime of happiness for them, starting with the wedding ceremony, which was on a pond in Centerville (near Hyannis). Here my cousin Nate waits for his bride to walk down the aisle and then a little while later Nate and Katie listen to the officiant tell them that they shouldn't make their vows if they don't mean them. Guess they meant them, because they followed up the standard vows with vows of their own. What a tearful event, listening to those vows. Here are two people who really care for each other. Their words were really beautiful. Even crotchety, road-worn old me pulled out a tissue when they professed their undying love. I believed them, too. It was a very sweet moment.

The ceremony ended with dry eyes as we gathered for a group photo, and then the bride, groom, and immediate family started the photo session. I snuck in a group photo of my sister's family and also got one of me and Dougbefore we headed back up the hill to Katie's parents' house for the reception.

After a few hours, the wedding party joined the rest of us at the house. Here Nate and Katie are announced in public for the first time as Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Galeota. They look so happy. I wonder if it is weird for Katie to think of herself now as a Galeota. If you're going to take a new name it's a good name to take - a solid family with lots of love to share. I just could never get used to the idea of not having my name. This is why I am not a Sisko. Rosanne Sisko just never sat well with me. It would have been too surreal to be announced for the first time as Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Sisko. I like being a Sheridan. It's what I know best.

Anyway, the new Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Galeota danced their first dance to a Dave Matthews songand then not too much longer after that we got to eat the food that Nate and Katie made in the month before the wedding. They kept the fifteen lasagnas they made in Katie's mother's extra freezer. My aunt made the salads the morning before the wedding, and the beef (not in the photo below) was cooked by a neighbor. It was a true family and friend affair, and I have to say that it all turned out very, very well.It certainly was a lot prettier than many of the wedding dinners I've seen, and was certainly tastier. My compliments to the chefs.

Nate and Katie (a little too) nicely fed each other their wedding cake (was this homemade, too? It was very, very good, along with the other desserts)and then it was up to me, Doug, the kids, and my sister to get the dancing started. Nate played just about the whole Pulp Fiction soundtrack for us to dance to. We enjoyed it, but not too many other people were dancing. Maybe the youngins were waiting for the old fogies like us to leave before the real party began? I saw someone getting out a case of Bud Light as were were leaving, so that might have been true, though I don't know why anyone would drink Bud Light when there was plenty of really great beer on tap (Allagash White at a wedding. High five to you, Nate!). But maybe the really great beer was gone, like it was when Doug and I went to the local Dedham Oktoberfest last weekend. I think Nate wouldn't have let that happen, though - not on his wedding day! Maybe the dancing just wasn't in the cards for everyone that night. Regardless, it was a great evening, and it was followed up by a great day driving along the Cape, seeing the ocean and the sights, which will be the subject of a later blog, I'm sure.

No comments: