Search This Blog

Monday, September 7, 2009

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

I feel like the person on that commercial for Alka-Seltzer, who repeats "I can't believe I ate the whole thing." I feel like a dope. I knew my camera was running out of batteries but I figured I had enough for a few essential photos this weekend (I had two out of three battery bars left, after all). I was wrong. Saturday afternoon after three + hours of driving in really aggravating long-weekend traffic, Doug and I took the two kayaks out for a test run. I whipped out my camera to take a photo of Doug bravely paddling through the white-capped waves, and nothing. Zilch. No batteries. Not even enough for one photo! I can't believe I didn't bring the battery charger.

But the weekend was good. Very good. It's so relaxing in New Hampshire. Actually, it's just relaxing on a lake, and it doesn't matter where the lake is. The air is pure, the area is secluded and quiet, the loons make such lovely noise, and it just feels good to be there. I worked on some of my craft project (which I will finish tonight - so excited to be done with these, and they actually came out very, very good. I think I will consider the Etsy route...), read a little of my book, kayaked, climbed Mt. Cardigan and was super impressed by Doug's ability to keep up with the rest of us. Not that my mother and I are athletes by any means (my brother is, though), but Doug doesn't get much exercise. I was definitely impressed by his ability to get out of the car and climb up the mountain with seemingly effortless ease. We played a little Uno and a little Guess Who?, both blasts from my New Hampshire past, and walked around the Dartmouth campus to find a place to eat. Oh, and we also went to a guitar store, and to prove that the world is very small indeed, the proprietor of the little shop was born and raised in East Hartford. Class of '66, and my dad was class of '61. They enjoyed reminiscing about the old homestead (but that didn't give us any special discounts on any of the gear!), so the trip there was worth the time.

It just dawned on me that tomorrow is Tuesday. I have my bi-weekly meeting with my manager tomorrow morning at 10:30. Thankfully it will be a short one, but I was hoping to have a day to prepare for it - I don't really have that much time. Unless I want to start preparing tonight. Pshyeah! Not. I have a very, very, very hard time doing work at home now. Sure, I'll do it, but it has to be absolutely necessary in order for me to do it. Wanting to be better prepared for my meeting doesn't constitute a necessity. I'll survive. My night is too precious for me to give up! I have my project to finish and some TV or movies to watch. So since there are no photos to go with this blog, I'll end it now... not much more to say, anyway! My evening awaits.

2 comments:

girl chris said...

Did you guys buy kayaks? I'm so jealous you got to spend the weekend at a lake...it was BEAUTIFUL. Hooray for late summer!

Rosanne said...

No, we didn't, but my mother and father did. They have two (though Doug now owns a life preserver). I cannot tell you how beautiful the weather was this weekend. Perfect! Cool, but not too cold, sunny, but not overwhelmingly bright... just perfect. Somehow we have to figure out how to spend more weeks at a lake house. I think that trip should be made at least quarterly.