Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Return of the positive list.

I was remarking to Doug last night that my blog has been missing my list of positives lately. Actually, I was remarking to Doug about how my life had gotten thrown completely off track once I left for vacation. Vacation in Maine must have been so incredibly relaxing - somehow my routine was totally and completely thrown off, putting me into a bit of a downward tailspin. I am trying to grab the controls again and right myself... so welcome back random list of tidbits for a positive life.

* Looking through old photos.
* Throwing away junk that only clutters the house and the mind.
* Ginger snaps.
* Pilates, yoga, and other mind & body workouts.
* Bright, crisp mornings that remind me of apple picking.
* Three day weekends.
* Learning my way around a sewing machine.

Speaking of looking through old photos, here's a photo that I found on my USB drive. Doug and I have taken many trips in our time together so far, but one of the standouts for me was our trip to the Hudson River Valley. Or somewhere in New York State. We toured around Washington Irving's home, a working farm, the Roosevelt homestead, Martin Van Buren's house... we packed a lot in, but amazingly it was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable trips we've taken. I really enjoyed the Roosevelt house. They're a family that really intrigues me, Eleanor very much so, but also Theodore, and to a certain extent Franklin. They make me think about what one can do with one's life if one is given the opportunity, but also what one can do with one's life if one takes the opportunity. I have another book that I want to read about Franklin & Eleanor. I should get reading it. I could use some inspiration! And I could also use another trip to New York State. How peaceful it is there! I found myself wondering what one would do with oneself if one lived around there. Like, actually lived and worked. Visit historical sites all day? Where would one work? Where would one eat out (options were limited)? What does one do there? Maybe one doesn't do a whole lot there, and maybe that was the charm of the place. Maybe that's what I need more of. Doing nothing. Or maybe doing more. Or doing more with nothing. Or doing more of nothing. Or...

1 comment:

girl chris said...

That's a great picture!