Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A whole lot of nothing.

* Tonight on NPR, WBUR, actually, but maybe other NPR channels, it seems to be musicals night. First I listened to an On Point with Idina Menzel, the star of Wicked and Rent, and now I am listening to a Fresh Air with Burt Bacharach, showcasing his music for the revived musical Promises, Promises. I have officially come to the conclusion that I do not like musicals. Not only is the music bloated and ostentatious, but I forget that I'm supposed to be paying attention to the lyrics when the song breaks out, so I get impatient and distracted. I'd rather be bleaching my shower than listening to a musical, and you'll never catch me watching Glee.

* Doug and I went into Boston on Saturday. Technically I go into Boston each day for work, but it doesn't count because I rarely leave my building. On Saturday we walked around Back Bay - stopping in the Garden for a swan boat ride then hiking through Beacon Hill and over to the North End, where we ate at Bacco and watched the Kentucky Derby. My desire to go to the Kentucky Derby someday has been solidified, and I might even be encouraged to wear one of those wild hats.

* My new favorite meal is eggplant parmesan. I get it at all Italian restaurants now. While I'm not completely convinced that there's any nutritional value to an eggplant, which uncooked feels a bit like a sponge and cooked has the consistency of pureed banana, I am completely convinced that it's better for me than a big plate of baked ziti and I think that it follows more closely my desire to live by a Mediterranean diet.

* Doug and I have been watching The Tudors on Showtime. The show became my friend during my clothes transfer project, and we're already just about halfway through season two. It's bawdy and terribly historically inaccurate, which makes for pretty good TV. And it beats watching Glee.

* I rue the day I discovered Popcorn, Indiana's Kettle Corn. I have absolutely no willpower if I open a bag. This bag? Opened on Sunday when I was doing my self-assessment, and it was gone by the time I went to bed on Monday. If I am what I eat then I had better stay out of the sun and heat, otherwise I'll pop up into a nice, fluffy white piece of popcorn. Either that or a soft and squishy piece of eggplant with a nice dollop of sauce and mozzarella on top. Unfortunately, tonight for dinner it's a baked potato (and a desperate attempt to ignore the unopened bag of kettle corn in the cupboard).

* Only one more story to read in Alice Munro's Too Much Happiness. Time to stop blogging about nothing and get reading.

1 comment:

girl chris said...

A big, fat WORD on the musicals thing. They make me so uncomfortable. I saw about five minutes of Glee once and wanted to cry.

Good things: the North End! Looks like it was a beautiful day.