Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Happy places.

Let's give my list of positives for this week a theme - places that make me feel good, and that allow positivity to enter into my life.

* Brimfield. We've been going here for the past three years or so, or twice a year even in some years. We go to Brimfield for the antiques and the oddities, like the guitar that Doug's ogling here, or the card catalog turned into an electrician's parts holder that I'm eyeing here: We were there this past Saturday, and while we didn't come home with anything much this time (old postcards of wildlife, which will have to be the subject of another post because I love old postcards and want to do them justice), I still loved being out in the open, being in the fields, and being around all of this junk with stories attached... It just makes my step a little lighter.

* Boston Common & Boston Public Garden. These public spaces in Boston are always so full of great things to look at. People playing sports, people walking through to get to somewhere else in the city, homeless people sleeping on benches, kids playing on the playground, families hanging out on blankets having a picnic, people getting married, people having their photos taken, people feeding the squirrels and the geese, tourists looking at the statues. Being in these places makes me feel like I'm part of something big, like I'm part of the world. We spent some time in the Common and Garden with my good friend from high school, her wife, and their son this past weekend. We had a picnic - can't remember the last time I had a picnic, but what fun! - and played a little soccer before walking around a little and then heading home. Little Ely is an explorer, that one - very curious, and very independent. Here he is exploring the world from a park bench and here he is enjoying our soccer game from his mommy's back. He had little interest in the game when we tried to have him kick the ball, but perked right up when he was in that carrier. He's another positive force in life, mine and that of everyone who knows him, I'm sure. He's such a happy boy.

* Washington D.C. Doug and I recently visited our fine capital city, and we loved it there. We felt part of the world there, part of world events and part of something bigger than ourselves. Maybe one would get dragged down by daily routines in D.C. just like one does here, but I wouldn't mind finding out for myself, living there for a bit and seeing how I would like it. Because vacationing there was great, and we were very sorry to leave.

* Maine. I really haven't spent all that much time in Maine and have only seen a very small part of the rather large northern state, but the time I have spent there has been really very enjoyable. Doug and I like to go to Ogunquit in the summer and we were engaged there. We have friends in Portland and we visit them whenever we can. We vacationed in Liberty last summer and will do so again this year. Life seems peaceful in Maine, and I feel open to possibilities when I'm there. This is a good thing.

* My bed. My bed is a place, after all, and it's a place that I like to be. I like to sleep in my bed, but I also like to read in my bed and watch TV from my bed. I like to fold laundry on my bed while I watch TV, and I like to rub Doug's back when he's laying on the bed after a long day at work. Plus, we got the hardest mattress Gardner Mattress had to offer, which does wonders for my back. I can relax when I'm in my bed, and I often wake up feeling energized and ready to go. Ready to be positive about my day. I thank my bed for this. Thank you, bed. Maybe I'll go visit you right now.

No comments: