Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

And now it's done.

Our vacation. Done. Five glorious days of nothing, done. It certainly was fun while it lasted. After we stuffed ourselves silly at the Publick House, we slept late on Monday morning, went to the gym to work off some of those calories, and then decided to spend the afternoon in Portsmouth, NH. That turned out to be a great decision, because the clouds lifted and the sun poked out, making the afternoon quite pleasant. And then on Tuesday I got an iPhone. So yeah, definitely a good vacation.

We like Portsmouth. It's small, but with some neat things to look at, and it's home to a great bookstore, RiverRun Bookstore. And home to The Friendly Toast, the original one. And home to some really, really great colonial buildings and homes. Portsmouth was founded in something like 1623, so it's old. Old, old, old. And I like it that way. Because while it's easy to do Portsmouth in an afternoon (meaning it's not a bustling metropolis like Boston or Portland, it's nearest urban neighbors), it's nice to be somewhere quite, peaceful, old, and quaint. We like it there (have I mentioned that yet?).

On this vacation, too, I discovered that I seem to like taking photos of the cats and Doug. Take a scan through the photos I post to this blog; the majority will have either Doug in them or one or more of the cats. As I look through the photos I took of our last two days of vacation, they're true to form. Look:

Doug at a nice scenic spot in Portsmouth:

Doug on a bench in downtown Portsmouth:

Doug reading a book (a real one, not one on his nook!):

Sasha trying to eat Wyatt's tail:

If the casual reader didn't know any better, s/he'd think that all I do is hang out with Doug and the cats. But wait, that's so not true. I work, too. And while there I hang out with really cool predatory birds who drop and eat their prey right outside my window. But hey, at least I have a window.

And on a completely and totally unrelated note, I read today in an article from Yahoo! (what, you don't get your news from Yahoo! too? That page that comes up when you sign out of your Yahoo! mail?), that the position in which I sleep reveals my personality type. Definitely a story that needed to be clicked on. I don't think I always sleep in the same position (and on some nights I sleep in many positions, based on how tangled I am in the covers when I wake up in the morning), but I'd say six times out of ten I like to curl up into the fetal position when going to bed. This must mean that I have a tough exterior but am still sensitive, and that I may appear to be shy but I warm up quickly. It makes me feel so good to be such an easy read. Chris Idzikowski, director of the Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service, get out of my bedroom.

No comments: