Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2010

In my next life I will be an Olympian.

I love the Olympics. Love them. I love that they are now every two years, which means that there's less time to wait for the next set of games. I love seeing what each location does for the opening ceremony, I love learning about the athletes and their stories of strife and determination, I love seeing how the favored athletes aren't always the ones who bring home gold. But what I love most is that for these two weeks I feel inspired. I feel excited about life, about what can be accomplished, about the future. These athletes love and live their sport, and they don't make excuses for themselves. They train and train and work towards their goal of gold. If they don't get gold they'll try again. If they do get gold they'll still try again. They just want to be their best at what they love to do. I find that to be incredibly moving, and for these two weeks every two years I am moved by the Olympic spirit.

This year the Olympics are in Vancouver.When the Olympics were in Torino back in 2006, I told myself I'd go to the winter games in Vancouver. When the Olympics were in Athens in 2004, I told myself that I'd go to the summer games in Beijing. I have yet to make good on any of these promises - what kind of determined Olympic spirit is that? So I am determined to go to the 2014 games in Sochi. I'll skip London in 2012 and save my money to get to the winter games in Russia. How great would that be? I would love that. Really. And it would only take, what, $5K a piece? More? Whatever. It's only money and I've got four years to save for me and Doug to get there. I've got to go. Really. Because it's too late for me to be an actual Olympian, but it's not too late for me to live with that determined, goal-oriented spirit.

Apolo Anton Ohno won another medal this year. Silver. Won it last night, which makes him tied for the most decorated U.S. Winter Olympics medal-winner outside of Bonnie Blair. Apolo had this to say in his montage before the race: "Before every day you go to sleep, ask yourself one question - did you do every single thing you could today to make sure that you did your best? It's hard to answer yes every single day. I don't like to look at it in terms of outworking the competition, I like to think of it as me conquering myself, me being able to face my own fears, and distractions, and weaknesses..." This is how I want to live my life. Asking myself that question each day, and answering honestly each night. If I can live like that each day I will be in Sochi in 2014. I will put Ohno's quote in my wallet and have it with me each day as a reminder of how greatness is achieved, and of how I want to live my life.

Time to watch the luge.

2 comments:

girl chris said...

I cried like a baby watching the Canadian win the moguls event last night and dedicate his run to his brother with Cerebral Palsy. Enjoy your long weekend, Olympics style!

Emily said...

Go to Russia! That would be the coolest trip ever, indeed.

I haven't watched a lick of the Olympics this year, but I have fond associations with them. Alastair was born during the Summer 2009 Olympics (it was on the TV in the hospital room during labor). And my mom has talked about how I was born during the 1976 Winter Olympics.