Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Baby P's first party

Yesterday the women in my family gathered in CT to celebrate the impending arrival of Baby P, my cousin Amy's baby. Only about six weeks left before the baby arrives - a perfect time to throw the baby its first party.

Amy loved the bibs, and was pleased that the fabrics I chose (I'd like to say I was aware of this before I chose the fabrics, but alas, a happy coincidence only) have enough contrast between colors that she can make out what's on them. That makes me very happy indeed.

Amy also loved the blanket that my aunt Alice knitted for the baby, and who wouldn't? Not only is anything homemade a treat, but who can't appreciate the amount of time, effort, and creativity that went into that blanket? Aunt Alice had to design the Pooh bears herself, then knit them into each square of the blanket, then connect all the squares, then embroider on their little faces. This is where I'd like to be with my knitting. Not necessarily thinking up a design and knitting it into something as big as a blanket (because this blanket is so large that it will last all through the child's life in a twin bed), but knitting a blanket and having it come out as cleanly as this one did. Aunt Alice is my inspiration with the knitting needles. My sister mentioned that she wanted to get the family knitting/sewing circle together again, which last met, oh, I don't know, maybe twelve or more years ago?, and my immediate reaction was, "Yes! Let's do it!" Because I want to absorb all that Aunt Alice can teach. Because I need a dedicated time to focus on my projects otherwise the rest of my life gets in the way. But then I remembered that I don't live in CT, and unless the knitting/sewing circle met on a weekend afternoon I wouldn't be able to attend. Hmmm.

So Baby P is all celebrated, complete with his/her first cake. My mom's cousin Jackie was at the shower, my grandmother's sister's daughter who was born unbeknownst to the rest of the family and immediately given up for adoption (one of those out-of-wedlock-babies whose stories seem so tragic), and I heard Jackie remark that she finds it so impressive how the family throws these parties and everyone always attends. It is pretty impressive, especially when you think about how busy today's life can be. And if I don't attend a family function I feel really guilty, because I know that I'll be one of the only ones not there. My mother and her sisters have always been close, and I grew up going to birthday parties, wedding showers, baby showers, christenings, holiday parties, and the like. Without these family matriarchs, will these well-attended family gatherings last? I would love to start hosting some of these parties, like the annual family holiday party, and while I have been humored by being told that my name has been thrown into the hostess hat, I know that my name will not likely be drawn. One of the reasons why these parties have been so well attended throughout the years and generations is because my mother, her two sisters, and their offspring (except for me and my cousin Nate) all live in Connecticut. And are all within a forty-minute drive of each other. Coming to my house, all of two or so hours away, is a big trip. A big deal. And that puts a definite damper on celebrations at my house. Which means, of course, that if Doug and I ever move further away, our hopes of ever hosting one of these family functions will be officially dead. Is that enough of a reason to stay local? Not really, but it does make me begin to wonder about the value of family and tight-knit family circles, and I do hope that my generation is not the one to let traditions die. For an Antiques Roadshow lover like myself, the idea of traditions being passed down generation to generation is inspiring, and comforting, and I certainly don't want to be the one who inherits the family highboy, doesn't recognize it's value, and sells it in a tag sale.

No comments: