Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Eating our way through Maine - Liberty, Part One

We are back, back from our week in Liberty, Maine, with Chris and Chris. Doug and I have not had a week away since our honeymoon last March, and much has happened for us since then, much that gave us need for this getaway. We spent the week eating and fishing, kayaking and touring around, pretty much in that order of priority. What a great time! We'd go back again in a heartbeat, and already are talking of saving the big Benjamins needed to have a little house on a lake someday. Great vacations lead to big dreams, right?

First up: Food

We ate a lot on this trip. Started with an excellent meal at Darby's in Belfast, the closest "big city" to our little home away from home. We all agreed that this was the best meal we had on the trip, but I have no photos to prove it! But trust me, it was good. We even tried to close out the trip with one final dinner there, but we didn't have reservations and the wait was too long. Who would have thought that in the middle of Nowhere, ME (not really, but at times it felt like it), we would have needed reservations? You live, you learn.

Some other food highlights were the three bags of kettle corn through which I spent my week eating,the lobster roll that Chris and Chris got at the Rockland Lobster Festival (Chris and Chris gave the roll a thumbs up, after initially being skeptical), Doug had a crabmeat roll at Rollie's in Belfast (and what's up with lettuce and tomatoes on a crabmeat roll?) and then there was all the food at Moody's Diner in nearby Waldoboro. Our trip to Moody's could probably take up a post in itself, just because I took so many photos, we ate so much food, and spent time with such interesting people... but I will for now just post a few photos of the food we ate there. Chris got a very nice looking breakfast dish but the real treat was the dessert. Moody's is known for its pies, and we know why. Here's my lemon meringue: Can you believe that? It was very tasty - all the pies were, as you can tell in this photo here:
So yes, we ate a lot of food. Doug had a crabmeat roll just about every day, I had a great sweet potato and black bean enchilada at Darby's (where girl Chris also had a great pad thai and we all had excellent desserts), we ate a lot of potato chips, fries, and sandwiches, as well as cooked meals for ourselves, too; corn tart one night, mostacholi another, and then boy Chris and Doug grilled us some burgers and a sausage. We had ice cream, lots of cookies, and snacks galore. We ate our way through the week, and I have to say that even though today as I sit down to my veggies with toasted goat cheese bread (one of the recipes I was going to make during the week but there was just too much food and not enough time) I feel super full, very heavy, and eager for some lean meals, I don't regret anything I ate last week. It was a week fit for a foodie for sure.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I am literally drooling at that lemon meringue pie photo. Mmmmmm.....