Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Finally room for more.

Doug and I didn't plan on this weekend being as productive as it's turning out to be, but as I said today (sometimes the inspiration just hits me), you've got to grab the chance whenever you can get it. So, buzzing from the the good news about my cousin Amy and her husband Mike (they're pregnant and due in March!) and the complex and nuanced TV in Mad Men season one - we grabbed onto the momentum of the weekend and just did it. Whatever needed to get gone got done (within reason, of course. We do only have so much time). Here are the photos to prove it.

First things first - I picked a few tomatoes from the plant my mother gave us... the plant is looking a little pathetic these days,which is totally our fault because we never remember to water it. But from that plant came these beauties: Guess that means you can get water from a stone, or something. Anyway, while I was getting the oil changed, Doug was at home preparing for our new bookcase. You may recall that we have been on a book-buying binge and that we had run out of room for all the books we now have in our possession. Two shelves were just no longer going to cut it. So out with the old and in with the new.We even have room to grow with this one. The old bookcase is now in the office, holding all of my arts and crafts. This small change has made such a difference organizationally. I breathe a sigh of relief when I am in the living room now, and also when I'm in the office. Things are finally in their right place.

Speaking of things in their right place, we dropped the blue recliner off at the Salvation Army today. We got this recliner from Doug's parents when we moved to Newton back in the fall of 2001. Doug had it with him in the cave in Newton, and then we had it with us in Allston. We also had it with us in Newton, though it was relegated to the porch (and turned into a cat chair) and stopped being a main feature in our living room. When we moved to Dedham we took it with us, with the intention of using it in the basement, but that never worked out. Doug's been trying to sell it for probably a year now, but we've never had any takers. I know it will go fast at the Salvation Army, though. It's a really good chair, in very nice shape. Just doesn't have a place with us anymore. So good-bye, blue chair! We felt so torn about leaving it at the Salvation Army that I took a picture of it there, awaiting its fate. Doesn't it look lonely there? Ah well. Someone will get a good chair when they get that one, someone very lucky indeed (but that lucky someone had better like cats... I think half of Wyatt went to the Salvation Army along with it).

This weekend we also found a use for the mug that Chris and Chris so kindly sent to us, spicing up the kitchen a bit and giving it a nice injection of personality. We're stalled on the second season of Dallas, though. We were overloading on it, and now it's time to get some Mad Men in. There is just too much TV to watch, and I'm not even talking about the new shows on prime time each night. It's a bit overwhelming to think about, all this TV. Sasha has the right idea. Don't think - just stretch out and relax. Sounds like a good idea to me!

1 comment:

girl chris said...

Are you loving Mad Men? It's just so compelling (and pretty to look at, too). The new season is on at 10pm Sunday nights, though, which doesn't always jibe with my old-lady lifestyle.

Love the bookcase! More books are a good thing -- except when it's time to move, of course. That's when I always wish I had a more lightweight hobby, like stamp collecting.