Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Do over, please.

Ever have a day that you wish you could just do over? Right from the very beginning, from the time that you woke up until the time you went to bed? I had one of those days today. Woke up late feeling very sluggish, so decided to ride my bike to the grocery store to get some exercise while getting that chore done. I spent way too much time putting my list together, and then had to pump up both tires on my bike, and then had to show Doug the disgusting pile of centipedes and earthworms and slugs that had made their home under the plastic bag of weeds and yard waste that my mother so kindly pulled up when she was here while we were on vacation. I rode my bike down to the intersection of Walnut and Whiting, but as I approached the intersection I tried to signal that I was turning left at the same time that I squeezed the right brake, so I flew forward off of my bike (I was glad I am not a guy, otherwise I'd be in quite a lot of pain!). Good thing there wasn't a car on my side of the street, but the other cars at the intersection sort of hesitated and looked at me to see if I was okay. Yes, I was, but my chain fell off my bike so I turned around and walked it home. Could I have put the chain back on? Probably, but I figured that it just wasn't my day to bike.

Once home I decided to go to Jo-Ann's to get some batting for the craft project I'm working on (my mom and sister are insisting that I need batting), but the Jo-Ann's closest to me didn't open until 12. I figured that I could head down to the one in North Attleboro, get my batting, and hit the grocery store on my way back (in the car) all before the one closest to me even opened. So I got directions to the North Attleboro store from the Jo-Ann's website, quickly ate a yogurt for breakfast, and left. It was supposed to take a half hour to get to Jo-Ann's in North Attleboro, but after an hour of driving around and not coming anywhere close to a giant Jo-Ann's superstore, I gave up, because by that point the Jo-Ann's closest to me would be opening in about 25 minutes and it would take me about 15 minutes to get there. I decided to go to the Big Y on the way to the other Jo-Ann's, since normally I love the Big Y, but wouldn't you know that this time the Big Y had very few of the items on my list and of the ones that it did have none of them were on sale. I spent way too much time and money in that store and left feeling even more annoyed that I was when I got in there. This would prove to be a pattern for the rest of the day.

So I get to Jo-Ann's at about 1pm, grab whatever batting I see (since I don't even know what batting is and have no idea what the difference is between all the different kinds, and there are many), head to Office Max to enlarge the pattern for my craft project, and finally, FINALLY, go home. It's now 1:45pm.

When I get home I quickly eat lunch, yell at Doug a bit since I am jittery and uncontrollably irritated, and then start on my craft project. I planned on working on my project for about 3 hours. It's now 8pm and I am nowhere near finished with my project, have only a few things to show for my 6 hours of work, and am cranky. Irritable, cranky, tired, hungry, greasy (decided not to shower today... yet another bad move), and generally unnerved. I would like to go to bed right now and wake up on Sunday morning all over again. This has not been a very good day. However, we do have fresh farm-stand corn for dinner tonight (thanks, Mom, for getting us some yesterday!), and cranberry-blueberry sorbet for dessert. Perhaps food will make me feel better. Food and then maybe watching TV. Tonight is a good night for TV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in need of some clarification here. you said you woke up late, but then you said you thought you could go to JoAnne's in N. Attleboro AND the grocery store before noon?

Rosanne said...

Yes. Late for me is anything after 8am. I woke up at 8:15, but then lay in bed feeling like a slug until after 8:30. Maybe this doesn't happen to you, but my body is used to being woken up by my alarm before 6am each work day, so my body is now trained to wake up around that time even on the weekends.

Hope this satisfies your need for clarification.