Search This Blog

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Another summer weekend slips away.

It's baaack! The humidity is back, having taken a break from late April until now. Please understand - I am not complaining. We have had a way too mild summer so far for me to even think about complaining. I am simply commenting, and would also like to say that the cats don't like this weather. All three have assumed their summer positions of lying upside down with their legs in the air at random spots on the floor. I just don't want it to get so bad heat-wise that they start to pant. I hate that.

What I don't hate is that Wyatt and Meg have a wonderful friendship. I really am pleased, because Meg can be a cool customer at times, somewhat of a loner, and I worry that she doesn't get enough of our love. She gets lots of Wyatt's love, though, and sometimes too much, as the case was today. I was in the sun room working on my picture frames (more on that below) and Meg jumped on the table to beg for attention. I petted her, but she eventually jumped into the kitty condo, which at the time was occupied by Wyatt. Didn't matter, as Meg curled up next to him and Wyatt immediately started to lick her.That went on for a few minutes, but then Wyatt decided to kick it up a notch. He got her in a body hold (which looks a bit like a hug, but I know better) and then bit her neck, readying himself for the hump, but she was having none of that and fought back.It took a while for Wyatt to understand that he was rejected,but after the confusion he took the hint and jumped down to stretch himself out and give himself some consoling licks. The good thing is that within an hour they were back at it with each other, so no hard feelings from either of them.

We didn't just spend the weekend peeping on the love lives of our cats, though. I got my hair cut againbecause the other hair just wasn't working if it wasn't blown dry, and since I never, ever blow dry my hair it just wasn't working. There were all these funky layers that didn't blend properly, so those are cut off and I'm back to a plain old bob. Sometime this fall the layers that are left in my hair should be grown out enough so that I can start to have some kind of more interesting style, but right now I'm just glad that my hair isn't causing me to avoid the mirror anymore.

Doug spent a good part of today posting stuff to Craigslist (anyone want some used guitar gear and/or a Lazy-Boy style recliner? Please?), and while he was doing that I cleaned the kitchen, downstairs bathroom, organized my desk a little, and then began one of the craft projects that I had planned for the day. For a while I've been eager to get this one started, since I really didn't like the frame in which I had the informal wedding photos, taken by Marieke and friends. The frame, if you recall, was silver and the silver was too modern-looking for our living room. So, I got out the paint, ribbon, and drill and made another hanging photo frame, like the one I have the cats' pictures in. It looks much, much better.

This project took me way longer than planned, though, so I won't have time for my other craft project (since I still have to fold four giant loads of laundry...). I will have time to eat a piece of homemade strawberry pie, recipe courtesy of Cook's Country. Doesn't it look good? It does look good, but I can't yet vouch for its good flavor; I left out the sugar! I realized it at the very end when I was about to put the strawberry mixture into the crust, so I added a bunch at the very end, but I was supposed to simmer the sugar with the strawberries way before that point. Oh well. I'm sure it will still be good... and I'm about to go find out!

3 comments:

Rosanne said...

Verdict: it's a very "natural" tasting pie. In other words, it could use a little more sugar... next time I'll have to remember all the ingredients! Still very good, though, and one I'll want to make again.

cottonmather said...

Wyatt is very good at "hugging."

Rosanne said...

Yes, and he just "hugged" the pillow on the couch.