Search This Blog

Friday, July 10, 2009

I deleted a post.

I deleted a post from my blog. You may have read it, but since it was from yesterday you may not have read it. It was a rambling post about wearing security badges at work, having your photo and home address posted on the corporate intranet site, and not wanting to work where I had to swipe my way through halls and doorways. I wrote it before I read this really timely article by Stephen Abrams in a prior edition of Information Outlook. His article was titled, "Start Now: 30 Days to Prepare for Your Next Position," and it was really quite good. I did a lot of highlighting in it (with my new favorite color of highlighter being green, by the way. Used to be orange.). But one of the most poignant pieces of advice he gave in this article, which can be applied to any situation and not just to the job hunt, was #24: Always be positive. Even if you hated your last or current position don't let anyone know. Your attitude is, after all, the best predictor of how you'll be at your next employer! Now how true is that. And so I was thinking about the post I did yesterday about my security badge, and my complaining about not wanting to work somewhere where I had to wear one, and where the only way I could know all of my colleagues was by looking them up in the facebook on our intranet site, and was thinking about how that might sound to someone who didn't know me. I don't want to come off as a complainer (ha!). As one who is ungrateful. So I took the post down (but actually just gave a nice summary so maybe I just defeated the whole purpose of the deletion).

I may not be helping my cause, here... the more I write the more I risk going down a path I don't want to go down. So I'll wrap this one up with a photo of good stuff - a photo of me and Doug taken right after our engagement, July 4th, 2007(seems to be a time for anniversaries of all sorts). On that day I felt happy, energetic, ready for the future. It's my goal to feel that way every day. I do know that I'm not always going to have an amazing guy ask me to marry him every day, handing me my happiness on a silver platter (literally). My happiness is something that I'm going to have to create for myself. Future-building. That's what I'm going to have to focus on each day. Looking at the positives. So far, here's a list of my positives for today:

1. I'm alive.
2. My cute husband missed my mouth when trying to give me a kiss goodbye this morning (his aim in the early morning is not so good).
3. My cats didn't wake me up in the middle of the night last night.
4. It's Friday and I have a weekend ahead of me.
5. I will accomplish the three things I have on my to-do list before noon.
6. I am planning a new course of training at work for new-hires and today plan to discuss my ideas with library peers.
7. I will ride my bike tonight.
8. Plan on making a corn tart for dinner, and I love, love, love corn.

Not a bad list so far, right? Maybe I'm on to something here.

4 comments:

cottonmather said...

Mmmm, corn!

Adam said...

Is that the Puffin Inn?

Rosanne said...

The one and only. I recommend it; very nice B&B, and very nice hosts (staff?).

Adam said...

My parents have been there a bunch of times...they like it!