Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

This is where I work.

Because we now have a small camera (thank you very much, Ryan & Janet, for your Amazon gift card!), I can carry it around in my giant suitcase of a pocketbook all the time. This means that I can take pictures of whatever I want, and today I was inspired to take pictures of my work space. Yes, you'll see below the actual physical space that I call home for about 10 and a half hours each day of the week, minus weekends and 15 vacation days a year. The below is my actual cube. You'll see that I don't have the full walls of a traditional cube, but basically I am contained in three square walls with one opening where I can get in and out, so it is definitely cube-like. I have my two computer screens (my how much I enjoy having two of them), my little chair, my little quotes and inspirational sayings tacked onto my bulletin board wall. Ah, so homey.
Here is another view of the cube.
Here is a view of the rest of the library space. My back is to all of this as I'm sitting in my little cube space, which I don't really like. Three of my coworkers sit in the cubes on the left of the photo, and the computers in the back are public - one is a Bloomberg, the most antiquated, convoluted computer system in the world, though the amount of data and information that that thing provides is quite amazing.
This is what's to the left of me as I sit in my cubicle. The doorway leads into a small room that used to be my manager's office, but she's moved to an office right outside the library and a coworker and I are both moving into that room on Monday. We are hiring two new research librarians, one in October and one in November, so cube space is at a premium. I won't have an actual cube anymore, but I'll still be stuck in a corner. I'll have to post pictures of the new space once I move in. I'll be near a window, which is key to work happiness I think. I highly, highly undervalued direct access to natural light when I decided to work in the corporate world.
But isn't the space so drab? I mean, maybe these beige colors are very sophisticated, especially when coupled with the dark wood, but there is a complete lack of color in my life while at work. This would likely explain why I so desperately want to surround myself with rich, bold colors at home. And speaking of rich, bold colors, I have half a mind to paint the bedroom this Saturday. I was going to wait until the last weekend in October, but once I get an idea in my head I like to run with it right away. Get things over with. So maybe there will be more painting photos to post next week!

5 comments:

Adam said...

Why do you have two computer screens?

Rosanne said...

To do twice the amount of work :) No, it's to make life more convenient. You can open one document on one screen and do work with it (like copy and past stuff in a new document, enter data into Exel, etc.) on another screen. I've come to appreciate the two screens...

Rosanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

I think it would be better if you had one giant screen. Do you think you can get an IMAX screen?

Rosanne said...

I could always ask... BTW, Adam, I'm reading your copy of Long Way Down by Nick Hornby and in it is an old bank statement from the Chelsea-Groton bank. Someone had a lot of money in one's checking account back then! My goodness! Would you like to write a check out to the Rosanne Sheridan Get a New Front Door fund, or is all of that money now in your new floors?