Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2008

I need to find a new show!

This post won't have any pictures, any deep confessions - nothing juicy, so feel free to stop reading right now. All I really want to relay to my readers is my great distress at the fact that we have fully caught up on The Office and even watched the season premiere last night. We now have no more glorious red envelopes coming with DVDs of multiple Office episodes to look forward to every other day or so. I have to say, watching the show on network television was slightly less impressive. We had to fast-forward through the commercials, then rewind when we went a little too far, and the sound of the show was all wrong. Too soft, kind of muffled. And then I was really annoyed that the show has been weaving in doubt that Pam and Jim will actually get married. Seems Pam is going to get a great new life as a graphic artist, and Jim's destined to be at Dunder Mifflin for the long haul. Complaints, complaints! I'm really just complaining because now I have to find a new show to watch. I believe Personable has recommended Lost to us, so maybe we'll order that show from Netflix, but I was hoping for something a little more uplifting. The Office in general is a light-hearted show. Lost, I hear, is a little heavy. Any good comedies out there that anyone knows of? I am not up on my TV shows, obviously, and could use a few suggestions. We need to find new shows to watch as we meld with our couch each night after work!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Lost is a lot to process, but it definitely has it's moments of charm and humor. Find the time to watch it at some point.

Did you guys see Flight of the Conchords? If not, that should be next in your queue. Right up both your alleys.

I enjoy How I Met Your Mother, but it's a real lightweight show. You won't be as invested as in The Office, but it's sweet and Neil Patrick Harris's Barney is a great character. 30 Rock is also a very reliably funny farce, with moments of very topical, biting satire.

If you are in the mood for an hour long show, check out Psych. It's pretty much a tribute to shows like Murder She Wrote and Magnum PI, except instead of Angela Lansbury and Tom Selleck, you get two 30ish best friends, one of whom pretends to be a psychic but is really just a wisecracking hipster son of a cop. That show always leaves me smiling. James Roday and Dulé Hill nail the dynamic of lifelong friends busting on each other.

Unknown said...

Second for How I Met Your Mother. I wanted to hate this show -- and remember feeling sad for Mike when he confessed to watching it a year or so ago :) -- but it totally won me over - as did The Big Bang Theory, which goes on right before it.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on Saturday. You can help bail rainwater out of our basement!