Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Quilts make me happy.

Tonight I joined Curves. Didn't actually work out, because I guess joining and having your first workout are two different events now. At my first workout I'm followed around by the lone employee, to make sure that I'm using the machines correctly. This will happen on Saturday morning. Yay. (I am excited, though. It will be good to get back to being physically active on a regular basis again, though this doesn't mean that I'm giving up my little bouts of jogging.)

Tomorrow night I meet with a new therapist. Yes, Rosanne, me, sees a therapist. I have been seeing the same therapist for about 2, 2 1/2 years now, and I think we have just reached the point where we're too comfortable with each other. It's more like old friends getting together. She says, "This week, why don't you try to make a list of all the things you want to accomplish, prioritize them, and we can discuss how you can achieve those goals." I go home, think about it for a while, make a mental list but don't write it down, and when I see her the next week I forget what my mental list is and she forgets to ask for it and we talk about something completely different. I really like her, I still do like her, but I think that if I ever do want to do the things that I claim that I want to do I should see someone who might hold me accountable for my lack of action, or who might not want to be my friend as much as my therapist.

In other news, I have finally hung up my cousin Ann's small quilt in my office. It's hanging over the space where I want to put my sewing table, so it can act as inspiration. My sister and mother bought this quilt for me at Ann's funeral; it was coincidentally for sale at her church and they bought it while we were having the post-funeral gathering in the church basement. It's sad to look at because it reminds me of Ann, of how she passed away before being able to see her children grow into adults, before she could have grandchildren, before she could enjoy retirement with her husband, but it also is a happy quilt with bright colors and it makes me think of how much Ann enjoyed life. She always tried to get people together, tried to keep people united, and she was not judgmental. She passed away just about a year ago. I think of her very often, and I'm sure everyone else does, too, who knew her. Yes, this past year was a year for death, it seems, but what I've learned from all of this is that life is indeed short and unpredictable, so it's important to get the most out of it while you can. Hence the goal of regular exercise and working toward mental stability and personal satisfaction. See? It all ties together.

Now on to watch Dr. Zhivago.

No comments: