Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'm blogging from bed because I can.

I really should be sleeping. My eyes hurt from looking at a computer screen all day, and I am getting a headache, but I can't bring myself to go to bed because I feel like I haven't done enough yet today, enough of what I want to do. Tomorrow night I want to come home and play around on the computer, getting to know the laptop while watching some Cash in the Attic and eating some more frozen food... but I won't be home until 8:30pm again. Hopefully I won't have to work from home, though, and the playing around on the computer that I do can be for fun and from the couch. We'll see. I can make no promises.

I was going through my Flickr account because I am thinking of upgrading to a pay account (but my blog essentially functions as Flickr, so not sure why I would, really) and found a cool photo from the Chris's wedding. Here, I'll attach it, even though it's probably giant-sized. They had such a fun wedding. So laid-back, yet classy at the same time. I really liked that wedding. Liked helping to set up, liked watching it, liked taking photos, liked dancing, liked the atmosphere, the company, the season, the warmth, the food, the music, the everything. I like weddings. This photoshoot down memory lane reminded me that I really like weddings. Not all weddings are as fun or as comfortable as that of Chris and Chris, but all are likable in some way. I enjoyed my own wedding, too, and thought it went by WAY too fast. Way too fast. In some ways I'm still recovering from the fact that it's over. For those 7 months of planning I had a purpose, a drive, a vision, a dream, a goal, and once we got back from Belgium my life has been sort-of going into the toilet. I exaggerate, of course, because I now live in a great house in a nice town right outside of Boston (though I think that I am allergic to the trees that surround the property) with a husband who is really too good to me, and with three cats who are on the whole very, very well-behaved (not to mention darned cute). We do do fun things on the weekends (when I'm not working) and we have very quickly created a very clean and organized domestic environment, but since the wedding I've allowed my life to be taken over by work such that I don't know how to focus on the non-work parts of my life. I neglect friends and family, including Doug and the cats. I neglect my personal interests, my physical health, and probably most importantly my mental well-being hangs by a very thin thread. On this I don't exaggerate.

Today I thought about volunteering. About how I would like to volunteer either at some kind of senior center or assisted living facility, because I actually like old people (they are the human equivalent of the storied wares on the Antiques Roadshow and/or Cash in the Attic), or at the Animal Rescue League in Dedham. I don't have a whole lot of time to volunteer, though. As it was I was working tonight until 11:15. I suppose I could volunteer on the weekends, but by the time the weekend comes I'm zapped of energy. Zonked. A regular zombie. Ask Doug. He gets so annoyed with me on the weekends because I just can't function quickly enough for him. It takes me at least a day to get back to being "me," by which time my weekend's virtually over.

I don't want to complain. And actually, I'm not really complaining. Just stating the facts. But please know that I realize that I am neglecting friends and friendships that do not deserve to be neglected, and that I've gotten so far outside of myself over these past months/last year that I pretty much have forgotten how to be friends with people. The phone? Dread it. Email? Don't mind it, but feel I don't have much to say so don't really utilize it. I work. That's what I do. When Doug tells me that I can't talk about work, that I have to find something else to talk about, I get angry because to me that means I can't talk. I am work and work is me. Again, not really complaining; just stating the hard, cold, depressing facts of my early married life.

It's time to go to bed. The later it gets the darker my mood becomes and trust me, that's not a good thing. I'll pet the cat and pet Doug and shut my eyes and hope to wake up tomorrow a little brighter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

corklhey ro... this really struck a cord with me tonight. i feel like i am in the same rut... "not complaining, just stating the cold hard facts." if i can't talk to my doug about the kids, i don't have anything to talk about. work work work.
on another note, until i had kids, i was the director of recreation at two nursing homes, and i would definitely suggest volunteering there. these seniors need the mental stimulation and company. especially on weekends (when there are limited activities due to limited staff due to limited budgets).... DO IT!!!! it will be extremely fulfilling for you, and whoever you are visiting. some of these seniors sit for hours with no intereaction other than with nurses when it is time to take their meds. oh ro... you should do it. (and if you do, maybe i will try and find some time to do it too).
oh... and i dread the phone also.
you pretty much wrote my feelings down in this blog.... i could just go on and on (which i think i already did)
~val

Rosanne said...

Hey Val! Yes, some days are really difficult, aren't they. I greatly admire what you're doing, though - to have your family done by age 30 (or almost age 30) and putting in the work to raise your three girls... that's work like no other kind. Rewarding, but tiring, and all-consuming. Perhaps a little volunteering is what we need, to get us out and participating in other aspects of life. How does one go about volunteering? I was thinking of contacting the local senior center, or contacting this assisted living facility I drive by every once in a while to see if they might need volunteers on weekend mornings. You're right - some old people are incredibly neglected, and it's so sad to see that. Some people either have no family or the family doesn't visit, which is such a shame. Even the most cranky old person has such life behind them, so many stories. Think of all the stories that you're building for when you're old, Val! (And 30 is not old, by the way, as much as I might think it is...) I'll keep you posted on my volunteering activities... it may take me a while to get up the motivation, though.
You have a beautiful family, by the way, and I love following your adventures on Facebook!

girl chris said...

Thanks for the wedding love, Ro! Make sure to take some breaks from painting this weekend and get in some much-deserved downtime.

Emily said...

I've only looked into it a bit, but check out www.serve.gov for volunteer opportunities. I think you may have to wade through some junk, but it could be helpful!

I liked your post a lot. I have a bunch of guilt about being bad at staying in touch with people. But when it comes down to it, our friends and family understand; we all go through periods when things are crazier than normal, whether from work or family, etc. It will all even out in time, and then something else will happen... now I'm just rambling.