Search This Blog

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Change will do you good.

You'll notice the new look of my blog. I've changed it. I like it. I've also added a Goodreads widget so that everyone in the whole entire world can see what books I've recently read. It took me all morning to figure how how to add the widget to my blog. Yes, I can admit that.

I went to bed last night (well, this morning) at 2:30am, and I woke up at 7am. It's now 9:09am. I was supposed to be getting up and doing work, and I made it down here to the computer after putting in some more laundry, but here I sit still on Blogger. The Internet just sucks me in. In order to not make a complete waste of my morning, I'll provide a little more detail on the fun activities of last weekend.

So you'll recall that on Saturday, Doug and I headed down to my niece's first communion. On Sunday we were busy little bees again, this time doing mega chores around the house, picking up our bikes from the bike shop, going to another Revs game, and then enjoying (?) a dinner at The Midway. I'll touch on a few key aspects of the day below.

First, the chores. When I moved the coat rack upstairs to the bedroom after moving the dressers around, I lost valuable coat-hanging space in the sun/cat room, which is where I tend to drop my things after I get home from work (easier access for when I leave the next morning through the front door). I had gotten myself this neat little rack of hooks and I finally got around to screwing it into the wall.I got the level out and everything this time, so I really did it right. I think it looks good, and it's actually pretty secure, though let's see how it handles heavy winter coats and hats. Score one for me.

Another chore I had been meaning to do was the semi-annual clothes transfer, where I take all the bins of spring/summer clothes out of the attic and switch up the wardrobe. I decided to be ruthless this year with my clothes weeding, and Doug joined in on the fun. We got the project pretty much done that day (not all the winter clothes washed and put away, but the summer clothes hung and folded and integrated into the system), but look at the pile of clothes we made to take to the Salvation Army!More will be added to that pile, too, because I have a giant stack of ironing to do (summer clothes that are wrinkly and that definitely need some steamy heat before wearing), and a lot of that ironing consists of clothes I probably won't wear. I absolutely hate ironing. I mean, I really, really, really, really hate it, so I know that once I start standing there in the living room with the ironing board and iron I'll be more motivated to weed down that pile. Do I stand there for 25 minutes to iron the dress I haven't worn for two years but think that maybe I'd wear this year, or do I put it in the donations pile? Donations pile, of course.

The day itself on Sunday was pretty gross weather-wise. It wasn't terribly warm and the sun was nowhere to be seen. And, as luck would have it, just as we were getting to the Revs game with Marieke and Curt, it started to drizzle. Drizzling is the kind of rain that isn't really much of a nuisance if you're walking in it - you're moving and not a whole lot gets on you to make you wet. However, when you're sitting there in a seat in a football/soccer stadium completely exposed to the elements, you get a bit wetter than you'd like. I anticipated the rain, though, so I packed along the ponchos Doug and I bought back at the San Diego Zoo in 2006. Am I glad I kept those! How do we all look? Thrilled?The real kicker to this event was that the Revs lost. It was like they shouldn't have even come out to the field that day. Nothing was working for them, including our favorite goalie. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

And I'm not sure if we won or lost when we ate dinner at The Midway. Doug had been trying to get me to go since we moved to Dedham and I've always refused, perhaps wisely. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't a bad meal, and the atmosphere was somewhat charming in a townie kind of way, but I'm not sure I'll be going back any time soon (although it was cool that our rolls came on plates - one roll for each of us on individual plates, with one little pad of butter to go along with it). Our iceberg lettuce salads, however, came in these very thick plastic bowls that I hope are never put into the dishwasher or microwave because I can guarantee you those things aren't heat-safe, and the piece of chicken of my chicken parm was about the size of my head. The chicken extends underneath the pasta portion. Where does one buy chicken like that? Marieke and Curt took a break from eating to pose for a photo but then it was back to more eating. Marieke was asked how she wanted her steak cooked in her fajitas. Has that ever happened to you before? Does this mean that The Midway is a classy joint ahead of its time or that there's something about the beef we should know about? We enjoyed ourselves, though, and who knows, we may even go back - but this time we have to get meals noted with a cow icon. Those are The Midway classics, tried and true since 1947, things like pot roast and rump roast. Yeah, maybe not.

No comments: