Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

Work. Life. Balance?

Jobs. Jobs. Jobs, jobs, jobbie job job jobs. What is a job, anyway? What is the point? Is it personal fulfillment? A way to make ends meet? A path to riches? And what is this work-life balance idea that I am hearing about ALL THE TIME? Is it really possible to achieve? If you give all to one, let's say work, because your job is your personal fulfillment, then what happens to your life? Isn't your job your life then, and what do you balance? And if your job is only a means to live your life, how do you balance that? It would seem that then your life would be totally out of balance, because much of your life would be spent at your job. I am struggling with this work-life balance thing. A lot. I don't want my job to be my life but I'm not sure how that's possible when I have to work this job to give me the kind of life that I apparently want. Or, at this point (thank you student loans and mortgage), need. I want to have a job that I really like, that is an extension of my life, but those kinds of jobs aren't the ones that can pay the bills at this point. I tell you, it sure is a pain to be an adult. As a child my dream, my goal, was to be old. To be "an adult." Don't ask me what I thought that meant. I think that as a kid I thought that if I were just old, if I were 40 and an "adult," out of school, living on my own, working a job, driving a car, whatever, that everything would be fine. No more growing pains, no more adolescence, no more unfairness, no more uncertainty, no more of being a kid. Wow. How wrong was I! I will be thirty in about 4 months. I suppose I am, in age at least, the adult I so desired to be as a kid. Problem is, I know just about as much now as I did then about being an adult - nothing. I guess I can just take each day at a time, treat my life as a continuous AA meeting of sorts. Yes, it's fun to be me and to be "grown up," but it's also a lot of work. I hope other people had childhood dreams that they could actually achieve... because while I can be - and am - an "adult," I am not the kind of adult I thought I'd be. But then again, I think as a kid I was watching way too many movies. My vision of adulthood was obviously rather warped.

No comments: