Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I hate the MBTA.

So I have to vent. I know, I know, this blog is supposed to be filled with cool pictures of food and day trips, and then the little crafty/house stuff that we do along the way, but today I have to complain about the MBTA. Can I tell you how much the MBTA makes my life miserable? If I were a better person, I'd laugh these things off, but I'm not, I'm me, and so things like this really irk me. Put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day, probably longer. Make me a terrible person to be around. Yes, I truly dislike the MBTA.

Today I rushed to get out of the house by 7am. I had to shave, and I just can't seem to get myself up those few minutes earlier on these shaving days, so I always have to rush. And I knew that I had a 9am meeting at work, so I absolutely had to catch the 7:18am train. That's the train I always catch, because the next one doesn't come until 8:15am, which doesn't get me to work by our 8:30am start time, but today I had to make it. So I walked really fast for most of the way to the station, then ran a little bit at the end, and then once I got to the platform I noticed that a couple people were leaving. Not a good sign! I took a look at the message board and there was a notice that due to mechanical failure, the next train to Boston would come at approximately (note that word) 7:50am. Great. So it was 7:15 at that point, and I'd have to wait until somewhere around 7:50 for a train?? In the freezing cold? Trust me, this morning it was very, very cold. I started calling Doug around 7:30 to see if he was awake yet, but no luck. By 7:45 I could no longer feel my fingers, and my toes... forget them. They didn't even exist by then as far as I was concerned. I was beyond cold. At 7:48, though, I heard cheering, and so I looked down the track and there was a train coming! Yay! So I start preparing myself to get on, moving closer to the spot where the doors are when the train stops. The train came closer, slowed down, stopped, and we all huddled around the door waiting for it to open, when suddenly one of the conductors came to the door and said that he wasn't letting anyone on the train, the train was too full, we'd all have to wait until the next train. Please sir, when is the next one? I don't know, says the conductor, you'll have to check the schedule. Well, I had no way to check the schedule for the train (don't have one of those cool iPhones and haven't figured out how to use the browser on my Blackberry and wasn't about to learn when it would expose my frozen and inoperable fingers to the elements), and so I resorted to calling Doug again a million times in a row. I began to shake I was so cold. Finally at about 8:07 Doug answered the phone. I told him that the train never showed, that I was absolutely freezing, and that he had to come get me so that he could drop me off at a T stop on his way to work. Fine, that was fine, he'd leave once he fed the cats. Well, maybe 5 minutes later I heard more cheering... a train was coming. I tried to call Doug to tell him that he may not have to come after all, but no answer. He must have already left. The train finally pulled to the platform and still no Doug (and Doug doesn't use a cell phone or his Blackberry so I couldn't call that to try to reach him), so I got onto the train, as it would get me to work much earlier than if I had to go to a T stop and I might actually make the 9am meeting. This means that I left Doug to figure out for himself that if no one was standing there at the train station then the train must have showed up, which I felt really guilty about doing but I didn't feel that I had a choice at that point.

Anyway, I got on the train to find it absolutely packed, and found a spot near the door to stand. It was not a warm spot, so I did not ever get warm, and to add salt to the wound when the conductor came along to check for tickets (yes, the MBTA still wanted money after making us wait for over an hour for a train!) I could not even feel my fingers as they pulled out my train pass. Right now I am at work sitting at my desk in my wool coat and scarf because I am still frozen. Completely cold. I doubt I'll get warm today. Not to mention that Doug is mad at me for making him rush to get me at the train stop and then I wasn't even there. So now, thanks to the MBTA, I probably inflicted permanent damage to myself by standing out in the arctic weather for over an hour this morning, and then I have to come home to an angry husband and try to somehow make it up to him. Yes, I really, really, really do not like the MBTA.

No comments: