Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving thanks for family.

This morning I was listening to a piece on On Point about the changing face of the American family, put out in time for our Thanksgiving celebrations. Apparently quite a lot of us don't think marriage is necessary anymore, and something like 41% of babies are born to unmarried parents. But, overwhelmingly among those surveyed, Americans value family above all else in their lives. I agree with this, which may seem ironic given how often I actually see my brother, my sister and her family, and my extended family (meaning my aunts, uncles, cousins and their kids, etc.), but it's true. I believe that it's important for family to support each other and to care for each other. And to have fun together. Which is why I try to have fun with my family as often as we can, and which is why the theme of this post is giving thanks for family.

My sister's family, my mom, Doug, and I had an opportunity for fun last weekend, when we went to Old Sturbridge Village. This may be an annual trip, which would be fine with me. Going in the cold fall seems somehow appropriate. We all bundled up and had a great time seeing the horses and visiting the buildings and seeing the crafters at work (Like the blacksmith, who had one of the more interesting demonstrations. It seemed almost otherworldly, being in his smoky, cloudy cabin, seeing him in his period dress banging out things like kitchen spits. Made me want to learn a trade and live off the land (that is, until he said that getting burned is a daily requirement of his job, and I have to wonder what kind of health insurance OSV is providing for these workers, and then I have to wonder what kind of health insurance I'd have for myself if I were a blacksmith, working off my little plot of land behind my little house, so then I go back to being thankful for having the kind of life I lead right now.)). We also had time for some ye olden times checkers. I played Frankie in a match, in which he soundly beat me, but then he and Doug went head to head and Doug, ever-competitive, beat the pants off of poor Frankie. But Frankie's such a good sport; he held no hard feelings against Doug for that one.

Let's see, what else did we do. Not a whole lot else (this is pretty much what you do at Sturbridge Village), but it was really fun to spend time together. We posed together for a lot of photos, probably because we wanted to document us being together (we had not all been together since our trip to New Hampshire this past July). Here's one of me and my Mads, my wonderful and beautiful niece who's going to be ten this winter (and note her braces!): and here's one of my sister and her family: They have such a good family. So solid. The kids are well-behaved and well-adjusted, and my sister and my brother-in-law have a great dynamic. They actually enjoy spending time together (my sister and brother-in-law, but also the whole family). Of course, this may change once the kids hit their teen years, but I doubt it will change too much. Frankie will enjoy spending time doing things with his father, Maddy will enjoy spending time with her brother and father, and my sister will enjoy spending time with Maria and all of them. If there were a family that could survive a trip around the country in an RV, in close quarters and no television to distract them, then they'd be it. I admire them for that. I applaud them for that. I hope that Doug and I can have some kind of semblance of that (whether or not it involves children, or that many children, remains to be seen) - and maybe can join them on their roadtrip!

Anyway, so I give thanks this Thanksgiving season for family and the family institution. My actions may not speak as loudly as my feelings do on this one - so take my word for it, Family - I appreciate you and miss you when I haven't seen you for a while.

No comments: