Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

At least it's warm in here.

I'm procrastinating. I admit it. I don't really have anything to write about, but since I don't feel like actually doing all of the things that I have to do today (since the vast majority of it is work-related), I'll spend a bit of time blogging instead. Plus the time change is throwing me off. I went to the grocery store this morning and the digital clock in the car is wrong - still telling me it's one hour later than it actually is. I based my whole schedule around that time, and now that I'm home and all the clocks that are correct are telling me the correct time I'm having such a hard time adjusting. It was one time in the car and now it's another time in my house and I can't function. But what is time, anyway? Why does it matter so much to me? Why can't I adjust? Yes. Anyway.

Friday night we played trivia at the Old State House. We made some new friends, two very capable and enthusiastic trivia players, and caught up with some old friends. Doug was excited about answering the "name three actors who played James Bond" question correctly. I knew the one about Henry James. Team Huzzah came in fourth, and when there's another trivia night we plan to go and do better. Maybe we'll become competitive trivia players (we may have to actually know the answers to more than the more obvious questions, though, and that could be a problem).

Yesterday my mother visited and we did some shopping, because that's what my mother and my sister and I do best when we're together. My mother bought a futon and I bought a lamp. We both bought some shoes. But can I say that I'm tired of stuff? My mother and I were talking about how we needed none of what we purchased. None of it. Don't even know if we really even wanted it. We are just doing our American duty and shopping. And I'm a little tired of it. I should have been reading instead, and then maybe I would do better at trivia night the next time out. New Danskos aren't going to help me know who sat on the British throne when the Old State House was built.

And now today I can't focus. Can't concentrate. I'm supposed to be doing work (for work) and I will, but I haven't been able to focus yet. I even started to think about how I should be outside raking my leaves. Look at the sea of leaves in my backyard: You can't even see the grass - there are that many leaves. But then look at all the leaves that are left on just one of the many trees in our yard: How can I go out there and spend my time raking when half the tree has yet to shed? This is when I start thinking to myself that we should have bought a condo. But if we had bought a condo, how would I spend my time procrastinating? Thinking about why the condo company doesn't get someone to come and rake up all the leaves?

I really should go and do some work. It might be time now, because I'm getting a little tired of myself. I know what would have been a great way to procrastinate, though - going to Maine to wish little Ruby a happy first birthday. Ruby's one! I can't believe it. She's such a cute girl, and we don't see her nearly enough. I mean, not even remotely nearly enough. We don't see my nieces and nephew even remotely nearly enough, either. What is it with us and neglecting the people we care most about? Why is it that we do that? How come we're not in Maine celebrating Ruby's birth like we were last year at this time? Life gets in the way, but we promise not for long. Even life can't keep us away from this little bundle.

2 comments:

girl chris said...

Oh, that picture of you and Ruby just made me well up. Can't wait to see you guys!

Rosanne said...

I remember how she smelled that day - like a brand new life. That's the best smell. Turkey Day can't come soon enough for us (we can't wait to breathe her in again).