Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Living for the weekends.

It's sad, but it's true - I mainly live for the weekends now. And what I mean by that is that the vast majority of the fun things that I post about here on the blog happen on the weekend. I really wish that weren't true, but it seems to be happening more and more now. My weeks blend together and the routines keep me busy, such that the spontaneous fun happens between quitting time Friday and late Sunday night. I'm sure I'm not alone with this window of fun, and I'm also sure I'm not alone in lamenting it.

So a couple of weekends ago, Doug and I crammed in as much fun as possible, especially on Sunday. I woke up early even for me - 6:05!- and I had the dishes washed, the cats fed and watered, and all my silver jewelry polished by 7am. I then watered some plants, hit the gym, and came home to shower (because we've been hit by a never-ending heatwave, one that won't release us from its humid grip) before Doug and I joined the hundreds of other people checking out the BSAAC's annual Endicott Show. We knew a huge event was happening, because on Friday night people were postering around the neighborhood about "No Parking This Side of Street," and the Porta-Potties were coming out in droves. We missed the show last year, but this year we managed to get in a good forty-five minutes before leaving to watch the World Cup final match in Maine. The Endicott Show is an antique show, but it's focus is not on Model Ts or those kinds of antiques. This one is a free-for-all. Anything that is technically an antique (which is, what - any car twenty-five years or older?) could be shown, and many, many of these cars were for sale. I really liked looking at the old cars, and the ones from the late 1950s though the late 1960s were my favorites, mainly because of the retro detailing. Check out these tires! And check out this great logo! It was fun, too, to see the different kinds of cars that aren't made anymore, like this Chevy Corvair bus/truck thing and this Ford Fairlane. My family actually had a Fairlane when I was young. I remember it - it was white with burgundy interior. I remember when it was taken away on a flatbed, too. We had several cars taken from our yard on flatbeds back in the day. It was always a sad occasion to watch them go. I always got attached to our cars, because I'd think about the fun places we went in them. I felt similarly when we got rid of the Subaru. I'm sure I'll feel the same if we ever get rid of either of the Minis.

So, that was last weekend. And then this weekend we spent two glorious, glorious nights in New Hampshire, staying at my aunt's cottage with my mom, aunt, cousin, and my sister's family. My aunt and my uncle have houses on Crystal Lake, and while we don't get up there much anymore (I feel like I've posted about this before... and I have. See all posts tagged "New Hampshire."), it's always so good to be there. We got a lot of kayaking in this weekend (and thanks to my sister and her family for letting us use the kayaks - and my life preserver!), lots of walking, lots of eating, a bit of swimming, and, of course, many hours spent together. The kayaking was great - Doug and my mom enjoyed their time on the lake and my sister and the kids did, too. Frankie, Maddy and Mike spent some time fishing, catching mostly sunnies, running out of worms at one point and needing to get more. I'm glad that Frankie and Maddy have no problem with putting the worm on the hook or taking the fish off the hook - those are the two main reasons I am not a fisherperson. Those and the fact that I'd rather be kayaking. Or reading. Or baking. Because in the middle of the kayaking and fishing and swimming and outdoors activities, Doug and I managed to get in a trip to the King Arthur Flour store in Norwich, VT. While there, I fancied myself a world-class baker, while Doug fancied himself King Arthur himself. It was a mighty-fine weekend indeed.

No comments: