Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

K is for kitty!

One more page has turned in the painful life chapter of Wyatt's passing. I picked up his remains tonight. They came in a very nice little wooden box, accompanied by a pamphlet for some very fancy urns and things. Doug and I still have not decided what to do with him. I am flip-flopping between scattering him along an ocean, because Doug and I enjoy the sea, but I also like the idea of keeping him near us, so maybe burying him in our backyard. I'm sure I'll keep you posted on what we decide.

But we also have other decision to make. Like - do we get another animal, and if we do, do we get a cat or a dog? We have decided to get another animal, and we are leaning towards getting another cat. We loved Wyatt because of his dog-like qualities (the following us around, the loyalty, the interaction), but we work late hours and we don't know if that's a good environment for a dog. So corgi may have to be a retirement treat for us. (And I'm sorry - I cannot attribute that photo to anyone because I downloaded it long ago and do not remember from where.)

Now the question is - what kind of cat? Kitten? Purebred? Rescue cat? I am definitely leaning toward a rescue cat, but take a gander at these and realize how difficult it is to say no to a cat from a breeder. These are some Scottish Folds from a breeder in Montana: And these two cutie pies are from a breeder in Brooklyn: Blue Boy and Lilac Boy # 2 are both available now, but here's the kicker... they're available for upwards of $1500! I won't tell you their exact cost, because you may fall over from shock like I did, but I think you get the idea. The kitties from Montana are the same price. So it seems like we're running into a couple of things here with the Scottish Fold - there are few breeders, and the few breeders can charge a premium. Yes, yes, these kitties are just adorable, and I have no doubt in the world that they would make great friends, but we have great friends with us now and neither of them cost that much. Wyatt, actually, was the cheapest kitty of all of our cats, at the grand cost of $60 from the CT Humane Society. It pains me to have to say no to these cute little folded ears, but I just can't see spending that kind of money on a cat.

So, now we wait to hear about our application for the adoption of a Maine Coon/Norwegian Forest kitten. I submitted the application today. He's currently part of the Feline Friends rescue system, and I have to hope that he doesn't cost nearly as much as the above bundles of fuzzy cuteness. If Thor doesn't work out, then we will continue onward in our quest to complete our pet triangle. We got used to three animals. We like three animals. We like being outnumbered by paws and claws and all of that. And I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on progress.

2 comments:

girl chris said...

I cannot say enough good things about shelter cats, so you know my vote. Why spend big $$ when so many good (and inexpensive!) shelter animals are out there? Can't wait to see whomever you bring home...

Rosanne said...

I agree, I agree! So many little feline friends each day are given to shelters, kittens and older kitties alike. We're not showing the cat, we're not breeding the cat - we're just looking for a pet. I'll gladly pay a fee to adopt one, to support the shelter, but I don't see the need to pay big $$ to buy a pet.