Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween.

Doug and I don't really ever do anything for Halloween. I was reminiscing yesterday, Halloween, about how one of the only times I dressed up for Halloween as an adult I was a, how do you say, "lady of the night." Yes, I was a prostitute. I was in college, I was trying to do the whole wearing-a-costume-allows-me-to-bring-out-the-wilder-side-of-me thing, and I wore a silver mini-skirt, fishnet tights, very high heels, and a pink sweater. And make-up. Lots of pink lipstick, I remember. I think the thought of that costume put dressing up in a negative light for me. Not that the costume was that bad, but that the prostitute was the best costume I could think of. I feel a lot of pressure around Halloween costumes. Getting a good one. Getting a creative one. An original one. Lots of performance anxiety. So now my preferred line of attack on Halloween is to get a couple bags of candy and stay at home to hand it out to all the little neighborhood kids. Last year we had quite a few Dorothies from the Wizard of Oz come to our door. This year... well, this year we weren't home to give out candy. We were at a dinner at friends (my former manager's house. One of my "staff" was there, too. Made for a bit of an awkward scene when the topic of work came up, which it didn't too much actually, and if that was a conscious decision on someone's part I thank you), but I did see quite a few kids walking down the street as we were driving to Brookline. I think I saw the dead football player from the Beetlejuice movie. See? Now that's what I'm talking about with a creative costume.

Of course, just because I don't like a Halloween costume for myself doesn't mean that I don't like one for the cats, so yesterday, in honor of the holiday, I put Wyatt in his jester hat again, because the other cats refused to wear it and Wyatt, being the dope that he is, pretty much will let me do whatever I want to him.We have another video of him wearing the hat, this time while he's eating, but I will refrain from embedding the video into the blog. That may be a little Wyatt the Jester overkill. So, to balance out the Wyatt the Jester time, let's look at a photo of the stately Meg as she surveys the beautiful fall day that was Halloween (so warm! so windy!) and let's also take a look at Sasha, who was loving the little pumpkin that Doug and I finally got yesterday (thank goodness the grocery store had them, otherwise we would have gone the whole season without a pumpkin). I tell you, these cats - they really are a photogenic bunch.

So today, November 1. What to do? There's a holiday vendor fair at the Endicott Estate that I want to go to (there's a Tupperware vendor - very exciting). Perhaps I'll do some more organizing of my recipes, and Doug and I may hit an afternoon movie. We've been wanting to see A Serious Man, but then heard last night that Where the Wild Things Are is supposed to be good, too. Of course, once I go to Target (must get a few things... why do I always forget to do at least one errand on errand day, turning both weekend days into errand days...) I may get stuck out of the house for good. I have to get my mother and father an anniversary card. They don't really celebrate their anniversary, but I always like to give them a card. They have been married forty-one years this year tomorrow, so that should be noted somehow. My card will be late, though. November sneaked up on me. But better late than never. So in honor of my mother and father's anniversary, I'll close with a photo of a photo of my mom and dad at a party somewhere in CT before they were married. My mother was a hip looking woman, and my dad looked relaxed (and had a full head of hair). Seeing photos of my parents as young people always fascinated me. Still does. Makes you realize that your parents are people, too, something that's hard for kids no matter how old they are. Anyway, happy anniversary!

1 comment:

cottonmather said...

Some of my highlights (so far) of the weekend include:

Attack of the cricket bugs. I don't know what these little critters are, but they keep showing up in our bathroom to be squished.

Last night's discussion of national identify in Europe. Neil, Jessica's husband, has spent considerable time in Europe, and always has really insightful things to say -- last night was no different!

Great weather ahead today!The sun is out and today may be very beautiful.

Excellent post!