Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2009

Friday Night Lights?

It's Friday night and I'm contemplating folding a boatload of laundry. Or sleep. Or blogging. You can guess which one won out, though I have so little to share.

Doug and I are heading down to Connecticut this weekend, but I'm staying up in the Hartford area and he's heading down to Monroe. Not sure what he has planned, but I have an afternoon with my sister and mother planned - picking out material for the quilt I plan to make, getting my nephew a birthday gift (he turned 10 on Monday. Ten! I remember when my sister had us over to her house to tell us that she was pregnant. I was at UConn, living in Buckley, and Doug had tickets to go to a Squirrel Nut Zippers concert. He didn't want to go to the show, but thought I would want to go so he got tickets, hoping I'd go, too. I didn't. He did. He still holds a grudge about that.), going to dinner with my mom, dad and brother to celebrate my brother's birthday, and then heading to the Hartford Stage to see a play. Should be a good day, but packed with activity. Must leave the house early. Probably should go to bed instead of blog.

Got my haircut tonight and it's shorter. Shorter than I've had it in a year or so, but no one else but me would probably notice it. Again, I will not likely maintain this look, seeing how I don't blow dry my hair, but at least for one night it looks good!

Tonight Doug and I went to BJ's (this is what our Friday nights are like now - trips to BJ's and laundry!) and we got some books. I've become addicted to the book section at BJ's, as it's such a hodgepodge of titles and it's such fun to see what they'll actually have. Tonight we picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, Mornings on Horseback, and Leading Men, a TCM film guide. Doug's pouring over the guide right now. He's on Harold Lloyd, a physical comedian from the silent era. Never heard of him.

Can I tell you how boring Toyota ads are? There is nothing in a Toyota ad that would make me want to buy one of their equally boring cars. Right now a Chrysler ad is on and at least it has good background music, nice scenery, and a good message - "Come see what we've built for you." The last Toyota ad I saw had some kind of keyboard soundtrack, a bunch of white people tossing around a beach ball, and then a shot of some giant Camry driving along a wooded road. Boring. Don't think I'd buy a Toyota if I were in the market for a new car, and this is certainly one of the reasons why.

Oh, yes - today our new storm door in the front was installed. Hallelujah! It's so nice to be able to close the door and have it actually fully close, and it's nice to be able to have the front door open to let in a little air without worrying about the cats busting out of the bottom of the door. It has a sliding window, too - one on the top half and one on the bottom half of the door, and the screen is permanently in it. This makes for easy access to breeze - no need to swap out windows and screens come each change of season - just slide down the top window and the screen is automatically there. We never knew we could get so excited about a door, but we love it.

What we don't love is now that the door looks nice and fresh, our front steps really show their need for help. There's this shamrock carved into the top step in the front and it's in need of a little filling around the edges. I bought the mortar stuff that we need to fill in the cracks, because we also need to re-attached several stones that have fallen out of our back steps, but between busy weekends, the weather, and just plain laziness neither of these projects have gotten done. The weekend of July 11th. That's my new goal for mixing the mortar (or is it cement? Haven't a clue, but I know I have to mix it in a big bucket) and doing my masonry work. I'm sure I'll have photos, so check back for that blog.

Okay, my eyes are closing. Definitely time to either go to bed or get up and do something. Have a good weekend!