Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekend Edition.

I think that should be the new name of my blog. Or maybe "The Weekly Update." I seem to blog only once a week now, and it's mostly just a recap of what we've done (usually what we've done on the weekend).

Anyway, just a few things to catch you up on. I have a new addiction - to the WBUR app on my phone. I can listen to WBUR anytime now, and I do. While at the gym, while jogging, while on the train (until the signal cuts out), walking to and from the train... it's wonderful! I was listening in the mornings to a great recurring story on evaluating teachers (there is more than a little bit of me that is interested in being a teacher, even after listening to that series). And Weekend Edition on Sunday morning is perhaps my new favorite show to listen to. This is a case where I am happy to own a bit of modern technology. I think my phone does enhance my life.

Doug and I went to the Bruins parade yesterday (FYI - they won the Stanley Cup). It was a good time. It was also a very hot day, and thanks to the inaccurate weather forecast I brought with me my raincoat and umbrella, only to wish that I was wearing a sundress and had my sunhat. Doug was very happy to be there and so were the thousands of other revelers who stood out in the bright sun to cheer the Bruins on. We took the train into South Station and walked over to City Hall Plaza. It was a good place to watch from, but it's not like we could see much. We were about thirty people back from the road and the Duck Boats. BUT... we did get a glimpse of the team as they rolled by, and even of the Stanley Cup. It was fun to see all the black and gold confetti floating in the air. I'm so glad this parade wasn't for the Red Sox or the Patriots. I am tired of both teams, and tired of everyone wearing their red and blue. It's nice that another team has their moment of glory.

I saw two movies this weekend, too. First was Midnight in Paris, which was very good. Owen Wilson did a very good Woody Allen-lite character, and I enjoyed seeing Marion Cotillard and Lea Seydoux. French women are more than a bit beguiling. I also saw Bridesmaids, which was also very good, and actually quite funny. It was The Hangover, but for women. Same kinds of jokes, exact same idea, just with women. And like The Hangover, this movie somehow worked. Would I recommend it to men? Probably. The food-poisoning-pooping-in-the-street scene is something everyone can laugh about. Right?

What is perhaps most monumental and in need of relating, though, is that THE BIKE RACK IS NOW ON THE CAR! Doug, inspired by seeing Chara ride away from the Bruins parade on his bicycle, finally decided to grant my birthday wish of both last year and this year and got the bike rack on the car. So now we can bike. I'd love to bring the bikes to our vacation in Maine. Don't ask me where we'd ride to, and if we'd be in any kind of condition to ride around those hills (that's putting it mildly), but still. I can dream. It's good to dream.

No comments: