Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

First day of spring.

It's the first day of spring! Who cares that it's snowing and wet and gross outside and that I'm wrapped in a wool blanket inside. It's spring and I'm happy about that. So happy that I've decided to break my (unintentional) blogging silence and catch you up on a few things.

First: This is how not to spend time with your friend Julie who comes down from Maine for a much-needed visit. Of course, she's doing it, too, because we're all of us addicted to those little electronic devices, aren't we, but still. We should have been talking or something. Or watching the belly dancer who was gyrating and wiggling directly in front of us. She was inspiring. Her hips made moves that most only dream about. Perhaps jealousy drove me to bury my head in my phone.

Second: We can see clearly now, the ropes are gone. All of the bad feelings have disappeared... at least in our bedroom. And in the kitchen (so take your mind out of the gutter!). WE HAVE NEW WINDOWS! Man, oh man, oh man, do I love those new windows. I can raise them! I can lower them! They will stay open without needing a little piece of wood or some kind of prop for support! Oh, they are such things of beauty. And they soundproof so well. Who cares about all the cold air that's not rushing in from those old drafty windows - it's like we're living in a sound proof chamber. It's wonderful. We haven't heard the 11pm or 12am trains go by at all since we've had these windows. If we weren't so responsible in our old age, we'd finance new windows for the whole house. But we are, so I'll just rave about my three new ones. Have I mentioned yet how much I love them?

Three: If you are going to make one new meal this spring, try this Tomato Ricotta Tart. I'm sure it would be even better to make it in the summer with tomatoes from your own garden, but if you're like me and don't grow your own tomatoes or can't wait for summer for eating this kind of dinner, then try this. It's really, really good, and actually quite easy (obviously, since you don't see any photos of kitchen mishaps here).

Four: Finally, my bibs. My third bib project. Done! Sewed, snapped, washed, and sent on their way. It's a good thing that I am still working on my quilt. I need these kinds of crafty projects to occupy my mind and my hands. I can't just sit around with nothing to do (not that I ever really get that chance, so maybe I could just sit around with nothing to do. It might actually be nice to try that, now that I think about it...); I get antsy and I need something to entertain me, and not enough people I know are having babies. But once my quilt is done (which will be very soon... that's going to be the subject of my next post, I can feel it), I'll be left with what? Reading? More recipe-copying? Spring cleaning? Yes, it's time for spring cleaning again, and my yard, with all those sticks and twigs and clumps of leaves and schmutz, is calling to me. Screaming is more like it.

Five: My kitties! Look at them. Don't you just love them? My poor, beautiful brown bear, desperate for a place to sleep, and my fat, little Buddha bear, not lacking for any place to plop down. They are keeping me going these days. And to think, just a few days ago Doug and I were on the verge of adding a third to our nice, even-numbered collection. What were we thinking? Meg and Sasha, be glad that your mom and dad were distracted by chores and fighting and homework and work-work. Otherwise you would be terrorized right now by a cute tuxedo with green eyes and a boxy face. For once, all of us should be glad that life got in the way.

No comments: