Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Snow headache.

I have a headache and I blame the weather. Well, really the MBTA, but they wouldn't have had their issues if it weren't for the wretched snow and cold. Monday morning when I left the house the indoor/outdoor thermometer read an outdoor temperature of -2 degrees F. I left my house at 6:55am to walk to the train, and didn't get on a train until 8:02am. And it takes only 15 minutes to walk to the train. Wouldn't you know it - the train had mechanical issues that morning and was about an hour late. I was absolutely frozen standing there at the train stop. Frozen. It took all day for my fingers and toes to stop throbbing and to warm up (I swear I have Raynaud's). And now I sit here at the computer and watch the snowflakes outside, which started small and are now getting bigger and bigger, just like my headache. I'm not looking forward to shoveling.

But enough of that venting. I suppose the winter hasn't been all that bad. I took a really crisp hike at Gay City on Sunday with my mother, brother and Tyrone, which reminded me that snow can actually be quite beautiful, especially when it's still pristine and when the sun is shining on it. And if it weren't so cold out and dark so early I probably wouldn't be getting as much quilting or reading done, because I'd be spending more time outside and would be more active. So my quilt and my bookshelf thank you, dear Winter.

Can you tell that I'm grasping for things to write about? You know, we're just living life over here under all these layers of snow. The library is back to its 24 hour schedule, so I am back to leaving really early in the morning to get to Cambridge before the overnight staff leave their shift. My brain is overloaded each day with things that I have to learn, things that I should already know (I did go to school for this thing called librarianship, but most days you'd never really be able to tell), and things that I put on my very, very, very long list of goals. My evenings consist of dinner, reading, TV, violin, chores, and bed; not all in one night, but that's what I do. Weekends tend to be either really low-key or completely packed with activity. So yeah. Not much excitement to convey on the old blog. But maybe I'll have more to share tomorrow, or this weekend. More shots of me and Doug shoveling, more shots of my little street covered in show. Actually, that's another thing that the snow is good for - blog material. If I didn't have to shovel and didn't take photos of the shoveling experience, what would I put on the blog January through March? So keep reading. I have a feeling there will be more snow to carry us through the next few months.

No comments: