Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Back from the beyond.

Well, now I'll be. How long has it been since my last post? Whoa. This just might be a record for me. Sixteen days! I haven't communicated my life experiences to the world for sixteen days! And just what is my excuse for not posting to my blog for sixteen days? Life. Life is my excuse. There's been a lot of life going on during these past three weeks, and it's been wearing me out.

For example, my sister and my nieces came up to visit a few weekends ago and we went to... American Girl! This visit was not as intense as the last couple of visits we've made to that store (Remember the one when Maria got her ears pierced, and so did the doll? That one was epic.), but it was quite the day nonetheless. Maria was delighted to be there, of course - she got herself the 2010 Girl of the Year doll, Lanie Holland. Maria was so excited that she was downright scary. Maddy also got a little into the American Girl fever. Her original intent was to get Pepper, the American Girl pet husky, but Pepper was all sold out. Actually, many things were all sold out that day. In this down economy, we need to spend out hard-earned money at the American Girl store. Get things moving again. We ordered Pepper and he'll be coming in about six weeks, once he's weaned and whelped from his factory, but in the meantime Maddy has as new doll to play with - Kaya, the historical NezPerce American Girl. I actually like Kaya's story, though Josefina Montoya, the historical New Mexican American Girl, is my personal favorite. I think it's her oven and food that push her over the top for me, or her weaving loom and extra wrap. But a fine day at American Girl, one that certainly pleased my sister and her daughters.

And then my mom got a cat. Doug and I had seen the most adorable pair of long-haired torties at the S.P.I.N. shelter inside Pet World. We wanted to take her there to show her Stella and Bella and have her give them a loving home, but she ended up bonding with the cat below Stella and Bella, a cat named Liza. And once you bond with a cat you can't let it stay at the shelter, so Liza came home with us that day to begin her new life in Connecticut with my mom, dad, brother, and Tyrone. Liza is a big girl of eight, and she purrs and purrs and purrs. She's got a very sweet disposition and she really likes my mom. Her name is now Martha, and she's a bit timid around Tyrone, but she'll come around. She has spent much of her time on the upstairs floor of my mother's house, but she does venture down at least a couple of times a day to rub up against my mother's leg and get some loving in. She'll soon be downstairs all the time, I can tell - she's too much of a mush to be away from people that long. She just needs to realize that Tyrone isn't much of a threat (at least to cats. Now, people on the other hand...).

And then what else? New Orleans. I went to New Orleans for a long weekend to attend the Special Library Association 2010 annual conference in New Orleans, except that I wasn't there for the actual conference, just a few of the pre-conference sessions. The conference was worth it - I took a few ideas away from a couple of the sessions I attended, one on copyright management and the other on contract management - but I really, really enjoyed my time in New Orleans and wished I could have been there without a conference to attend. Doug actually surprised me by joining me for one night - he dropped me off at the airport early on Friday morning and we were casually mentioning that he should check out how much a flight to NOLA would be. The next thing I know I'm in Atlanta, waiting for my transfer to New Orleans, and I read an email from him that says he booked a flight for after work and would be in New Orleans around midnight! I was surprised, but also not so surprised. Doug's not one to pass up a chance to travel. Our time in New Orleans was packed with activity, and it definitely deserves its own post, so I'll leave you with only a little taste of what we experienced there - just enough to whet the appetite and leave you wanting more. That's exactly how we felt about our short time there - just enough to get us hooked, and now we can't wait to go back.Oh, and P.S. - I updated my picture a day series, in case you want to check it out.

No comments: